We had our first snow of the season this weekend, and I was so happy for a reason to stay inside a not do anything that I didn’t want to, which meant a lot of movies, couch-sitting and snacks 🙂
Milan and I went to my parents has to take advantage of their warm house and reclining chairs (for optimal movie intake). While we were there, my mom and I decided to take advantage of our shut-in status and work on a dresser that we found next to the dumpster at our apartment complex.
Now, when we found it, it was in less than stellar shape.
P.S. Shoutout to Bekah, for donating your solid dresser to the cause!
I’ve mentioned before that I’m no super craft woman when it comes to big projects. I’m working on it, but I’m still only on facelift level when it comes to re-purposing.
The paint was in rough shape when we started, but the dresser itself only needed a little glue on one of the drawers (that I may or may not have dropped while trying to cram it into a Honda accord when it was cold outside).
Fortunately, my mom is pro at this and kept me from flying through on all my whims and making it ridiculous.
The quick and dirty version is just that we took the drawers out, sanded everything down and repainted it how we wanted. -Nothing too crazy.
The longer version really applies to the details in the drawers.
After we sanded down the dresser and the drawers we gave everything two layers of primer. We gave it about an hour to dry and then gave it two solid coats of white paint to cover all of the cute doodles.
We actually did all that in advance and we picked up with the drawers today. And they needed the most love.
We didn’t give the drawers any coats of white because we weren’t going to have a lot of white showing. Also, we weren’t totally decided on the design, and we figured we could always go back and touch up as necessary.
So, we decided to tape more because we could always spray the other parts if they didn’t look like. We taped off the border and wrapped aluminum foil around the knobs because we could not get them off, because they had been painted down in the previous job.
After that, we gave five thin coats of rose gold paint (I know it looks kind of brown in the photos) and left it to dry for about an hour and half.
We peeled the tape and aluminum foil off after everything was dry and put all the drawers back in. And Voila!
A lot of pay off for not a lot of work! 🙂 Fortunately, we had all of the materials we needed so for me this project was completely free!
(Side note: we aren’t crazy metallic paint hoarders, our spray paint was leftover from spray painting A LOT of pinecones from our December wedding a few years ago.)
I’d love to hear about any of your special finds or what you do to stay busy during snow season!